I was scheduled to be induced during my 38th week due to my high blood pressure. We arrived at the hospital at 6:00 a.m. to begin the labor process. I had really hoped that I would've gone into labor on my own. Afte
Jen V.

I was scheduled to be induced during my 38th week due to my high blood pressure. We arrived at the hospital at 6:00 a.m. to begin the labor process. I had really hoped that I would've gone into labor on my own. After being told I was 50 percent effaced a month earlier, I was sure that it would happen naturally. I was hooked up to an IV and the baby was monitored for the first hour. Then the Pitocin was sent through the IV as we anxiously waited for the contractions to begin. They began slowly, and before I knew it, four hours had passed, and my contractions were mild, but consistent. The nurse kept cranking up the drug to progress labor.

My husband, who sat by my side for every minute of the morning, finally left the room at noon for a quick bite to eat when my mom arrived. He wasn't gone five minutes, when I felt a gush of liquid, and realized that my water must've broken. He was so disappointed to come back and learn that he had missed it!

Unfortunately, my body didn't react in the typical way. My labor did not progress as quickly as we had hoped after that. By 2 p.m. the contractions were very strong, and I breathed through them with the help of my husband. When my doctor's partner arrived, she announced that I was still only 1 centimeter dilated, despite the strong contractions.

At 3 p.m. the doctor returned to check my progress, and again I was only 1 centimeter, with contractions 2 minutes apart. She told me that the contractions were at their strongest, and if I didn't progress within 2 hours, she would do a C-Section. She believed that the baby must be too large.

After speaking with my doctor, who was actually out on vacation time, he volunteered to come in and do the C-Section. I was so touched that I was in tears. So at 3:15, a flurry of activity began to get me prepped and ready for 4:00 surgery. My husband was given scrubs, and left to tell my mom the news and call his parents.

I was wheeled into the surgery room, and awaited the Spinal. They told me to be perfectly still as they inserted the needle, and I was scared to death that I'd jump as they put it in. It was just like having blood drawn, no big deal. Immediately I felt tingling through my legs, and within minutes, I was numb.

The doctor arrived, the curtain was put up, and my husband was brought in to sit next to me. I was told I'd feel a lot of pressure, but didn't actually feel too much except a little pulling and movement, and suddenly, our baby was out. I listened intently until I heard him cry, and the nurse called out 16:16. I realized after a moment that this was his birth time � 4:16 p.m.

The doctor did not hold him up enough for me to see him, and my husband was pulled to the side to watch them clean up our son. After what seemed like forever, the nurse carried over my pink baby boy, swaddled in a blanket, and wearing a hat. They laid him on my chest and I was speechless. I pulled back the hat to see his hair, which was thin and brown. His eyes were thick with drops, but he was gorgeous. I could only stare at him. After a few minutes, dad and baby were whisked away to the nursery, while I could only think about how desperately I wanted to see them both again.

About twenty minutes later, my surgery was complete, and I was wheeled into recovery, hoping to see some of my family. However, they didn't realize that recovery was my original labor room, and they did not arrive until much later. Warm blankets were draped over me to stop my chills, and my reaction to the medication was extreme itchiness, which lasted two days. But, it was really nothing that I couldn't handle.

Another hour later I was settled in my room, and our families piled in. Finally, Jacob was brought to me, and I was able to hold him in my arms. What a miracle! Looking at him was like a dream. The overwhelming feelings were like none my husband and I had ever known. We were in agreement-this adorable creature was our cherished son, and our lives would never be the same.PregnancyAndBaby.com


recommended for you