After Going Through Infertility, Christina Was Blessed With Twins

Christina of New York cried tears of happiness when she discovered that she was pregnant. She and her husband had been trying to conceive, and with the help of fertility drugs, their wish came true. But even more exciting than that -- she was pregnant with twins! Read more about this twin birth story.
by Christina

see more birth stories here!
Mom's story
When I took the pregnancy test, and it came out positive, I was so happy that I burst into tears. My husband and I had so much trouble trying to get pregnant, we had to rely on fertility drugs.

It was Christmas Eve, and I was planning to go to my parent's house for Christmas. I wrapped the little stick in a box and gave it to my husband in front of my whole family. The next week I headed to my doctor, and he confirmed I was definitely pregnant. My blood test was higher than normal, but he said not to worry about. Soon came to find out I was having twins.

I went into labor about 2:30 am, having contractions every 5-10 minutes. My husband and I decided to get some sleep and wait until things picked up a little. At 7:00 am, my water broke in the kitchen as I went to get something to drink. At least it was on the tile floor. I called my doctor and he said come in to confirm that my water had broken. By then, I was having mild-strong contractions every 3-5 minutes.

We got into the car and headed to the hospital. To get to the hospital we needed to take the thruway, which by 8:00 am was jammed full. We needed to get to the hospital fast, and through that rush hour it would have taken us two hours for a 45 minute ride. I doubted very much that we had two hours. My husband waved over a policeman on a motorcycle controlling traffic, and my husband told him what was going on. The police man escorted us right by the traffic. Thank goodness for that man.

We reached the hospital and straight to the labor and delivery floor. They checked me right away and said I was 8 cm. No time for an epidural. I never would have made it if not for that police officer. They did an ultrasound and reported that baby A was head down, and baby B was head up. They said we could do this vaginally, and baby B may turn, or they could turn her manually. They checked me again, and I was ready to push so they wheeled me into the operating room, just in case they had to do an emergency c-section.

After 14 minutes of pushing, Lauren Elizabeth was born at 9:36 am, weighing 5 pounds, 5 ounces and 18 1/2 inches long. They did an ultrasound and confirmed that baby B was still breech, so they tried to turn her manually. That didn't work, and her blood pressure dropped, so they did an emergency c-section.

Kylie Sue was born at 10:11 am weighing 4 pounds, 10 ounces. and 18 inches long. She was immediately brought to NICU for breathing trouble. She turned out okay after one week in the hospital.

Lauren and I left the hospital on August 18, four days after the twins were born at 36 weeks. Kylie had to stay at the hospital for three more days because of breathing difficulties at birth. After having a c-section and a vaginal birth, I was so weak, I could barley take care of my newborns. Thank goodness my mother and mother-in-law were there to help while my husband worked.

We're all doing fine, and we will soon be celebrating the twins' first birthday, and someday, I hope to have some more playmates for the girls!

recommended for you