Savanna Wasn't Ready When Her Mother Was, But Eventually Obliged

22 year old Brooke from California did everything she could to have her baby, and it worked!

see more birth stories here!
Brooke's Story
On March 20, 2003 I had a 38 week doctors appointment. I was misrable! I had been taking all kinds of herbs to make my cervix dialate and ripen. Well when I got into the room he asked me if I wanted him to check me. I said yeah. He said I was dialated to a 3 and 50% effaced. He stripped my membranes. I wanted him to induce me because the baby was almost 7LBS at 35 weeks. He started giving me the run around. I told him that the baby doesnt move as much as it used to. So he told me he wanted me to go to the hospital to get an ultrasound for fetal weight and also a non stress test.

So I got there, they hooked me up to the moniters and it turns out I was having contractions. They felt like braxton hicks to me. The ultrasound tech came in and started to do the ultrasound. The baby measured 8LBS 1OZ.They called the Dr to tell him the size of the baby and that I was having contractions. He wanted me to walk the halls for about an hour and if I didnt progress to give me drugs. Well I didnt progress so they ended up giving me the demerol. I was very druged up for a while and my contractions finally faded out.

I was at the hospital until 2:30am because they thought I was in labor. I got up and left. I was very upset. The next day my mom talked me into taking castor oil and blue/black cohosh to see if I would go into labor. All day long I was feeling like I was still on the drugs they gave me. I didnt feel right. At about 12:30 I took the castor oil. I went home and took about a 2 hour nap. My sister called and told me that I should take another dose of the castor oil. So I did. I was surprised it didn't actully kick in (if you know what i mean) until 5 hours later. I was not expecting it to work because it didn't work with my last 2 pregnancies. Later that evening my Husband made t-bone steak and then we stayed up and watched a movie. I was having braxton hicks but that was it. After the movie I went to bed. At about 12:30 I didnt feel right so I got up to go to the bathroom and I realized i was having contractions.

I sat on the couch for a little bit to make sure I was having them before I woke up my husband. I called my mom to warn her. I got my husband up so we can go to the hostpital. We got into the van and started driving when he realized we had no gas. So he turned around to take his truck. When we got to the hospital I was dialated to 4 cm and 75% effaced at 1am. An hour later she checked me I was 5 cm and fully effaced with the bag of waters bulging. I told her I didnt want my water to break until last minute. My contactions are much worse when my water is broken.

At 4:45am the nurse came in to check me again I was 7cm. I immediatly had to push the second she left the room. At 4:55am Savanna Lauren was born. The Dr didn't make it in time. He was literally 30 seconds late. She was 9LBS 1OZ 20 1/2 Inches long. The ultrasound was a pound off. That was my easist birth out of all three of my daughters.

What advice would you give to other expectant mothers? Even though you might be having a large baby, your labor and delivery can still be very

recommended for you